Some people shy away from winter sessions because, well, it's cold. But winter sessions make for some prime photo ops, so don't write off the brr months. Winter’s cold, sure, but it makes for some seriously stunning photographs. Snowflakes, snowmen, white canvases, glittering icy trees? It’s a photographer’s veritable wonderland! Here’s some tips to take advantage of a winter wonderland.
1. Keep tracking the weather. Those white winter days after a lot of snowfall can result in some seriously gorgeous photographs. Booking two months out probably won't work, and you'll instead want to book on a shorter notice.
2. Plan the day out so that nobody gets fussy or too cold. A bribe of hot chocolate after the session goes a long way.
3. Don't be afraid to have fun in that snow. Snowball fights? Snowman building? Angels? The possibilities are endless and this should be all about having fun.
4. Pack the necessities. Noses tend to run in the cold, and glasses can fog up. Bring tissues, hand-warming packs, clean clothes and hot beverages to keep everyone perky throughout the shoot.
5. Because it can be really cold, note that a shorter session may be in order. Make the most of your photos by using every single second to the max, especially at the beginning of the session when everyone's still warm and spirits are particularly high.
6. Really play up the winter accessories when planning outfits. Think cozy knit scarves, colorful coats, adorable boots, mittens and more.
7. There’s bound to be lots of white, so really punch things up with splashy colors. Think bright red, navy, yellow, green. Any color that really pops against white is a go.
8. On that same note, don’t hesitate to play with prints. We love seeing gingham, polka dots, stripes, etc.
9. Really bundle up and play up the winter factor. We love seeing fur-lined boots or hats, oversized chunky scarves, adorable gloves, etc.
10. Do wear a couple layers underneath to ensure you stay warm. Double up on those socks and throw on some long johns, if you must!
Laura Mares is an experienced photographer specializing in capturing timeless family keepsakes. Laura works on location and in her fully equipped home studio, located in Mt. Lebanon, eight miles south of Pittsburgh, PA. Laura’s style is creative, natural, and timeless. Would you like beautiful portraits of your newborn baby, to update your child and family portraits or to document a milestone in your life such as a wedding, graduation, birthday or reunion? If you are interested in high quality, timeless photographs, book your session today, call (412) 654-3367 or email [email protected]. To view a wide range of gorgeous portraits and to get great tips, advice and beautiful inspiration follow us on Instagram and Facebook.